Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What really happens when you sleep .....

Two nights ago I was sound asleep and woke up to Caleb climbing up the wall in his sleep. He just stood there in bed with one arm on the ceiling and the other on the wall. I touched his leg and told him to lay down, worried he was going to fall (either on me or off the bed) and he laid down and continued to sleep. It made me wonder what in the world he was dreaming about. I wanted to wake him up and ask but I decided to wait until morning. Bad choice. When I asked him about it in the morning he had no idea what I was talking about. He rarely remembers his dreams so I should have known this wouldn’t be any different. I guess we’ll never know.  We can always speculate that he was being chased by a tiger and had to climb high out of its reach. Don’t worry though I was just sleeping so I would have been eaten first. =) Way to think of me Caleb. Which brings me to my next story.

When we were first married we lived in this awesomely ghetto condo. The shower from the people above us was leaking so it was causing damage to our ceiling in the bathroom. At the worst part there were small chunks of the ceiling that would fall in our tub. With that background let me tell you the story. I had a dream that the ceiling in our bedroom right above our bed was sagging like that and about to fall on us so I (honestly) jumped out of bed and woke Caleb up telling him the ceiling was falling. Right about here I was starting to wake up and realize what I was doing. Caleb, being the sweet husband he is looked up at the ceiling and said “It looks like it will be okay until morning, let’s go back to bed” He was basically asleep so he didn’t remember this situation in the morning.  But I was sure embarrassed as I got back into bed with my heart still pounding.

I can think of 3 or 4 different occasions when I wake up terrified standing next to our bed because a spider was about to land on me (in my dream). Dreams are such strange things to me. I can almost always remember my dreams and they are so odd. Plus sometimes I do that weird shake thing when I’m almost asleep and it always wakes me up. Caleb does it too and sometimes it scares me.

Sleeping in the same bed as someone else was definitely a change when we first got married. There were many times when one of us accidentally got slugged by the other. =) A few months after we were married, while sleeping Caleb straight legged me (also known as kicked me) right out of the bed. Who honestly sleeps with their legs straight out? Honestly! I woke him up that time and asked him why he kicked me. He fell back asleep before answering.

I don’t know why I think dreams and sleeping stories are so funny but there is a comedian Mike Birbiglia who sleepwalks and does crazy things while he’s sleeping and I love to hear his stories. Marci introduced us to This American Life where we first heard of him. You'll have to click on play episode to listen.

9 comments:

Cara Rigby said...

That's awesome! I love how Rigby boys do such crazy things in their sleep. One time Adam took his shirt off in the middle of the night without knowing it and was TOTALLY freaked out in the morning. It was pretty funny :)

Romney said...

I was laughing so hard as I read this post!! I can just imagine Caleb straight legging you out of bed!!

Kellee Cachoo said...

Haha that's so funny. Maybe he was hoping to land the role in the next spiderman. Crazy kids too fun.

Alyson and Jacob said...

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who has weird sleeping habits. The sad this is that I am the one sleep talking and finally Jacob got a glimpse of me sleep walking. The main problem with me sleep talking is that I do it in two languages so it doesn't always make sense.

Kourtney said...

It is so funnny what happens when couples are sleeping. It was an adjustment for us too. Funny stories

Amanda said...

Becky! I was laughing out loud while reading this! Hilarious!

melanie said...

That's so funny!

Michelle said...

Ha ha! All your sleeping stories are hilarious. I would pay money to see Caleb "climbing up the wall" in his sleep. How hilarious :)!

Buckwheat said...

I'm proud to say that I'm the only Rigby that doesn't do anything crazy in my sleep--which is a complete lie. By the way, the crazy jerk is called a myoclonic twitch. Check it out on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myoclonus

Live Traffic Feed